Are you on a budget? Can’t seem to justify a gym membership right now? I feel like this time of year people are starting to think more about the holidays and tightening up the budget a bit. In fact, I read that is are only 10 more Friday’s until Christmas. Yikes! Well no worries, there are plenty of ways to get exercise in without a costly gym membership. Let’s get started.
1. You can go for a walk around your neighborhood or apartment complex. With the weather and time change make sure you wear reflective clothing or carry a flashlight with you. If the weather is poor you could go walk around the mall or Wal-Mart, just don’t take your wallet in! 🙂
2. Parks. Look to see how close a local park is to you and go there. There are generally benches set up so many yards away from each other in case you need a place to rest. Parks are also great because they generally will have a trail you can use. You could also use those benches for push ups, step ups, toe taps and tricep dips.
3. Free workouts online. You can always look on You tube or find some sort of website that has exercises you can do from home. Pinterest is also a really great place to look for at home workouts!
4. Schedule exercise into your day just like anything else! It’s not about having time, it’s about making time!
5. You could use paper plates as sliders on carpet or you could use wash clothes to help you slide on wood floor. You could do a really great core workout using both of these things.
6. You could also use cans for small hand weights.
7. Several people have smart phones now, so down load a free app that logs steps. Keeping track of how many steps you take in a day can be helpful to see how active a person actually is. We like to see how far we walk when walking the dog. Some friends or family will compete against each other for steps. The goal for every person based on the surgeon general is 10,000 steps per day.
8. Get out and do some yard work. It is by far not my favorite thing to do but I defiantly feel accomplished at the end of the day when I can look at what I did!
9. Play with your kids! Children don’t get enough activity in during the school day so get outside and play before homework. They will probably be able to calm down and focus on their studies.
10. Buy used equipment. Just because it’s not brand new doesn’t mean it’s bad. Several pieces of exercise equipment collect dust at people’s home, rarely being used. So if you are in the market for a treadmill start looking at garage sales or Craig’s list. You might find a rare gem! 🙂 and for cheaper than a new one.