Medical Weight Loss
Some overweight or obese people are not quite ready to commit to weight loss operations. WeightWise offers a medical weight loss program (also known as the metabolic program) as a solution for this group. The program consists largely of the same services provided to surgical program patients without proceeding to weight loss surgery.
What is Our Program?
All medical weight loss patients will adhere to the broader principles of WeightWise. In order to get patients started on the right track, the first visit will consist of a visit with a Nurse Practitioner, labwork as deemed necessary, metabolic testing* (RMR) and a consult with diet. WeightWise dietitians will provide an overall eating plan designed specifically from metabolic testing data. The second visit to the clinic will consist of follow-up with the NP, diet, metabolic testing* (VO2) and exercise.
The exercise physiologist will use the data from the VO2 to design a specific fat-burning workout regimen. Subsequent follow ups with NP, diet & exercise will be based on patient need and desire. This will allow diet and exercise time to adjust the patient’s program where necessary as well as let the patient see the type of results they can achieve through the program. WeightWise reserves the right to exclude patients from the program for non-compliance.
Four Pillars of Weight Loss Success:
- Stay away from carbohydrates (CHO’s) – poisons the fat burning mechanism and creates hunger.
- Drink at least two liters (64 oz.) of no calorie, non-carbonated, non-caffeinated liquid per day.
- At least thirty (30) minutes of exercise per day – not intense, just consistent.
- Attend follow-up visits for accountability and cheerleading.
*RMR is mandatory for all patients including referrals for diabetic counseling, VO2 will also be required for all patients who are physically able to do so.
How Much Does Medical Weight Loss Cost?
The initial appointment consists of metabolic testing as well as a visit with diet and exercise. The costs are as follows:
- Initial visit with dietitian – $60.00
- Meeting with Exercise Physiologist and RMR – $75.00 (cost is pre-paid and non-refundable within 48 hours of the appointment)
- Interview and physical exam by Nurse Practitioner – Billed to insurance (if no insurance coverage, cost is $128.00)
- Initial screening lab panel* – Billed to insurance (if no insurance coverage, cost is $238.00)
- Follow-up visit with dietitian – $20.00/15 min.
- Follow-up meeting with Exercise Phyisologist and VO2 – $75.00 (cost is pre-paid and non-refundable within 48 hours of the appointment)
- Follow-up with physician extender and review of lab results – Copay ($55.00 if no insurance coverage)
- Follow-up visits w/ Dietitian – $20.00/15 min.
- Follow-up visits w/ Exercise – $15.00/15 min.
- Nurse Practitioner – Copay ($55.00 if no insurance coverage)
- Unless noted, WeightWise will not bill insurance for any medical weight loss services. The patient will be responsible for the self-pay cost.
*Panel includes: CMP, CBC, Lipid Panel, TSH, Vitamin D and A1C. This can be done either at WeightWise or at the facility of the patient’s choice
Who Is Eligible?
Any patient who is looking to lose weight in a non-surgical program. Patients come to us looking to lose 10 pounds, 100 pounds and more. We have had success treating all different weight loss needs.
WeightWise reserves the right to exclude patients from the medical weight loss program if that patient is non-compliant with the principles of the program, cannot produce requested medical documentation, is not healthy enough to participate in the program or whose normal care would represent an undue risk of complication.
What Do Patients Need?
Patients need to complete the WeightWise medical weight loss paperwork packet. This can be faxed/emailed/mailed to the patient prior to their initial consult. Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have!