Tips & Tricks to Avoiding Temptation
Halloween is just around the corner! Can you believe it?! I’m sure you can already hear the sweet and savory holiday treats whispering sweet nothings to you, tempting you to indulge in their wanna-be goodness. Not this year. No, this year you are going to fight back against this enticing sabotage! It is time to stand up and overcome these temptations once and for all. Put some of our best tips and tricks to the test this year to ensure you enjoy a healthy Halloween and holiday season!
1. Have a pow-wow with yourself. Really think about your goals and where you want to be – is your goal to play with your kids and not be out of breath? Is it to have a baby? Maybe your goal is to see a certain number on the scale, or fit into that suit or cute dress hanging in the back of your closet. Whatever it may be – think about it! Picture yourself doing it. Does that cookie, piece of candy, or cheese dip get you closer to your goal, or does it push you one step further away from achieving it? You have probably been thinking and dreaming about achieving this goal for a very, very, very long time – a lot longer than you have been thinking about that food temptation. Is this momentary, short-lived satisfaction better than the fulfillment you will someday have when you achieve your life-long goal?
2. Don’t face this battle alone. Grab a friend, family member, or office buddy and be accountable with each other this holiday season. Remember, Halloween is just the beginning, it’s like the pop quiz you knew was coming before the final exam – aka Thanksgiving or Christmas. If you can ace this, you can definitely handle what’s coming next.
3. Reward yourself. Every time you say no to a piece of candy; turn down taste testing a dessert or savory dish; or avoid that not so satisfying treat at a party, put a dollar aside to spend on something you have had your eyes on for a while – big or small! At the end of each week or once the holiday season is over (when everything is on sale!), reward yourself for staying strong and purchase that non-food special something. You deserve it!
4. Just say no. Say no to keeping treats in your house and say no when you’re out and about. It’s a million times easier to resist a temptation than it is to get a taste and stop after that first bite.
5. Always be prepared. Keep a stash of sugar-free gum in your purse or pocket, have your favorite go-to protein bar with you, or brush your teeth to avoid unexpected temptations. If you’re going to a party, never go empty-handed. Bring your favorite low-calorie beverage in a cute, festive Tervis cup or offer to bring a nutritious dish or some sugar-free candies.
This year is your year. Finish it off strong! Tell us how you have overcome, or plan to overcome temptations this holiday season.
Have a happy and healthy Halloween!
~ Samantha Stewart, Dietetic Intern