Who does not love a good tater tot? I know I sure do, however no one needs all those carbs! Today, I bring you a new and improved tot so that I can eat the tots without worrying about the carbs… it is called the Cauliflower Tot. It’s crispy. It’s tasty. It’s diet friendly!
- 1 head fresh cauliflower (Or 1 bag frozen)
- 1/4 cup low fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cauliflower tots can be made with either fresh or frozen cauliflower. If using frozen, place 2 cups of cauliflower and 1/2 cup water in pot, then bring to boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover. Continue cooking for 2-3 minutes (or until just tender). If using fresh cauliflower, chop head of cauliflower into florets. Place in microwave safe bowl and add 2 tbsp water. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Remove from microwave and drain water. Roughly chop florets.
- Next, add the chopped cauliflower to food processor. Now if you have a tiny 2 cup food processor (like me!), you can only fit half the cauliflower at once…otherwise you might have cauliflower snow on the ceiling. So with half of my cauliflower ready to go, just grind until finely ground. Then add 1/8 cup of mozzarella cheese, parsley, salt and pepper to processor and pulse until the ingredients are mingled nicely. Repeat this step (if needed).
- Once you have all of the cauliflower ground into a smooth, fluffy mixture, we need to remove the extra water. Cauliflower hold a lot of water. If the majority of the water remains in the mixture, the tots will taste chewy, not crispy. So, place mixture into thin tea towel. Twist top of towel until excess water is drained from cauliflower. I use flour sack cloths for this...I love how thin they are plus it doesn't leave terry cloth in your food 🙂
- Now we can’t call these cauliflower tots unless they look, indeed, like tots. Are ya with me?! Okay, last step, for the ground cauliflower into tot shapes.
- Bake the tots for 20 minutes on 350 degrees. Then for extra crispiness, place in broiler for last 2 minutes. Serve hot. And await all of the praise you will receive from your dinner guests. 🙂