It’s Independence Day (almost)! Are you unsure of what to make that will fit into your diet plan?? No fear, the dietitians at WeightWise (with some adapted recipes from www.kraftfoods.com) have come up with a little sample menu to get you going!
Appetizer: Roasted Pepper and Basil Skewers
- 1 pkg Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese, cubed
- Fresh Basil Leaves
- Roasted Yellow Peppers, cut into squares
- Cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup Italian Vinaigrette Dressing
- Thread cheese, basil leaf, yellow pepper, and cherry tomato on a small wooden skewer. Place in shallow dish and coast skewers with dressing.
- Let stand for 20 minutes to marinate
- Remove from marinade and serve. (discard marinade).
From the Grill: Stuffed Onion Bacon Burger
- Turkey Bacon
- 1 Onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Low Fat Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- Cook turkey bacon in skillet until crispy. Remove from skillet and let drain on paper towel.
- Add onion to same skillet used to cook bacon. Saute until golden brown (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Crumble bacon. Stir bacon, onions, and low fat cheddar cheese together.
- Shape ground beef/turkey into THIN patties. Set half of the patties on a plate and top with bacon mixture. Set remaining half of patties on top and pinch together.
- Grill burgers until done (160 degrees). Serve and Enjoy!
Side Dish: Zesty Grilled Veggies
- Zucchini, slice diagonally into 1/2 thick slices
- Red Bell Peppers, cut into strips
- Yellow Bell Peppers, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup Zesty Italian Dressing
- 1/4 cup Low Fat Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Heat grill to medium. Place all vegetables in grill basket.
- Grill until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Pour vegetables into bowl and toss with dressing. Top with cheese.
Dessert: Patriotic Parfaits
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 pkg Berry Blue Sugar Free Gelatin
- 2 cups cold water
- 8 oz Sugar Free Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 cup strawberries, fresh
- Add gelatin mix to large bowl, stir in boiling water for 2 mins (or until completely dissolved). Stir in cold water. Now pour small amount (1/4-1/2 cup) into dessert glasses.
- Refrigerate until firm (about 4 hours).
- Spoon sugar free cool whip over gelatin and top with berries
Enjoy a safe and delicious holiday!!!