This is a Jicama (pronounced: “hic-a-ma”). It can be used as a dipper, as “french fries”, or in this case a salad. This salad is paired with black beans for a Jicama Black Bean Salad. Say hello to your new sweet, crunchy, and multi-talented friend.
Jicama black bean salad is great for a cookout or potluck. Also, it is great for dinner along side grilled proteins (like pork chops or hamburger patties) or as a main dish for a hot summer day. *Remember: beans should be limited to twice per week due to the starch content.*
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 jicama peeled and cubed
- 1 lime juiced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 roma tomatoes chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tsp coarse black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Rinse black beans under cool water until white foam no longer appears. Drain beans well then pour into small bowl for later use.
- Squeeze juice from one lime into a separate bowl. Add garlic, cumin, and olive oil. Whisk together. Pour half of lime juice dressing over black beans and let marinate for 10 minutes.
- Peel and chop jicama into small cubes.
- Chop remaining vegetables, then add to marinated black beans. Stir together.
- Add jicama to black bean mixture as well as remaining lime juice dressing. Stir until well combined.
- Serve immediately or cover and place in refrigerator to serve later.