It can be hard to find a good substitute for some not-so-healthy meal favorites. But I was inspired in one of my appointments last week. One of my patients gave me the idea of doing cabbage enchiladas. They are delicious. Now this is my own take on cabbage enchiladas. Anyone who has tried making them other ways, please send them my way. I would love to experiment with different versions!
I made two different kinds last week. The first is a creamy chicken cabbage enchilada, the other is a steak cabbage enchilada with a traditional sauce.
Chicken Cabbage Enchilada
**Tip for removing cabbage leaves from head without tearing: if you run the cabbage under warm water for a few minutes before peeling, then the leaves will come off easier without tearing. Start with the bottom of the leaf (at the base of the stem), pull up gently with your fingers. Then gently work your way around the outer edge of the leaf pulling up slightly as you go. Once the whole outer edge of the leaf is loose, return to the base a tug until the whole leaf is free from the head.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||1 hour|
- 4 cabbage leaves
- 1 lb chicken thighs shredded
- 1 can green chilies
- 1/2 cup white onions chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt (NOT low fat)
- 3/4 cup Cabbot sharp white cheddar shredded
- salt if desired
- black pepper if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place chicken thighs in a stock pot with enough water to cover top of chicken. Bring to a boil and let cook for 20-30 minutes. Remove from pot and shred with fork.
- Add water to large pot and bring to boil. Place whole cabbage leaves in boiling water for 2 minutes to soften. Remove cabbage from water and place on paper towel to drain.
- Bring chicken broth to boil in saucepan. Once boiling, lower to medium-low heat then add greek yogurt. Stir often and heat thoroughly, but do not boil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes and let sauce thicken. Add salt and pepper, if desired.
- Spread small amount of sauce in bottom of baking pan. Fill each cabbage leaf with chicken, onions, green chilies, and cilantro. Roll and place in baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over cabbage rolls and top with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes.