Adapting recipes from other sites is something we (the dietitians) do often around here. We make sure a recipe is not only high in protein and low in carbohydrates, but that it is also bariatric friendly. Plus, it has to taste good! I never post or send out recipes that I haven’t tried or tested in my kitchen. That was one of main inspirations for starting a blog as a component to our weight loss clinic in Oklahoma. Giving each of you resources and options for making healthy and delicious meals is one of the greatest parts of my job.
This recipe for Sausage and Lentils was adapted from Growing Up Gabel— I hope you enjoy this bariatric friendly version.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||4 hours|
|Passive Time||4 hours|
- 5 celery stalks
- 5 carrots
- 1 white onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 head of cabbage
- 2 packages beef smoked sausage
- 1-2 cups lentils
- 5-8 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop celery, carrots, onions, garlic, and cabbage. Add chopped vegetables to slow cooker.
- Slice beef smoked sausage. Add to slow cooker.
- Add lentils and chicken broth to slow cooker. Chicken broth should come up to the top of the food in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Salt and pepper to taste before serving.