Another plant-based protein recipe: tofu, but for a quick and easy lunch/dinner edition and combing some different cuisines. Remember tofu is a “complete” protein, and also a good source of a plant-based protein to add some variety to your diet, along with some vital nutrients. For this recipe, a pre-marinated Teriyaki (low sugar) tofu was used, which required no prepping as it was marinated. This recipe used one from Sprout’s Grocery store, and it is was low in added sugars and high in protein. For a side, a colorful and nutrient packed mango based Pico de Gallo, using the produce you may already have on hand. This recipe would be a good idea if you had time to prep something, but just needed something quick and easy. The only cooking is the the tofu in a skillet and chopping veggies.
*If you are in the weight loss phase, omit the mango.
(*Disclaimer: no fruit until >1 year post-op or in weight maintenance phase — please discuss with your dietitian if you have any questions).
- 1 block teriyaki tofu Sprout's brand, cubed
- 1 large Mango chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes chopped
- 1 1 jalepeno chopped
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1/2 c cilantro roughly chopped
- Heat large nonstick skillet with Pam spray.
- Cut marinated tofu into cubes and add into non-stick skillet.
- Add black pepper, salt, other desired spices to taste. I just used black pepper, but you can use as many spices as you would like.
- Cook on all sides until golden brown color.
- While the tofu is cooking, chop all ingredients for Pico de Gallo.
- Combine into large mixing bowl.
- Squeeze in lemon. Mix well and serve with tofu.