Italian food tops my favorite foods list. But it is not necessarily one of the healthier foods to love. So what do I do when a pasta craving strikes?! Well in a perfect world, I would be able to go to my favorite Italian restaurant and order a big plate of fettuccine alfredo and not gain an ounce or feel the affects of pasta cravings for days. But alas, this world is not perfect, nor am I. So I must make lemonade out of lemons- eeerrr or maybe spaghetti pie out of spaghetti squash is a more fitting analogy? Anyway, that’s what we are doing today. Spaghetti Pie from spaghetti squash. So pretty and so very delicious.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||45 minutes|
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb turkey sausage
- 5 stalks celery
- 1 medium red onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley fresh
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese ground
- 2 egg whites
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 jar Prego Lite Smart marinara sauce
- 8 medallions mozzarella cheese
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Italian seasoning to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roughly chop celery and red onion into pieces that will fit in your food processor. Add celery, red onion, garlic cloves, and fresh Italian parsley to the food processor. Pulse until finely minced.
- Add ground beef, turkey sausage, celery/onion mixture, egg white, and ground Parmesan cheese to a mixing bowl. Mix on the stir setting until ingredients are well combined (~1-2 minutes). Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed while mixing.
- Once the meat is combine, use your hand to form meatballs about 1 inch in diameter. Place the meatballs on a rack positioned on top of a foiled-lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
- Pierce spaghetti squash with a sharp knife multiple times around the surface of the squash and place in the microwave oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove the squash from the microwave and cut the squash in half. Shred the inside of the squash with a fork until the entire inside is removed and looks like noodles.
- Add the shredded spaghetti squash to a baking dish with egg white, salt, pepper, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Kneed together with hands, then press into the bottom of the dish.
- Add cooked meatballs to the baking dish, top with marinara sauce and part skim mozzarella cheese medallions. Garnish with fresh parsley.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Serve Immediately.