Time for something new! Last week I took a Pinterest recipe and modified it to fit a bariatric diet. Often times stuffed bell peppers are filled with rice, but it doesn’t take much tweaking to make a recipe work. Bell peppers are one of my favorite vegetables for variety in flavor and texture. I used sweet red peppers for this recipe, but if green peppers are a better cost saver where you shop, I imagine it would be just as tasty.
This is the original recipe from Skinny Taste and below is my modified version:
- 1 lbs ground turkey or beef (90% lean or better)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 1/4 onion (minced)
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 Large, Sweet Red Peppers
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- olive oil cooking spray
- 2% reduced fat shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400F. Spray saute pan with cooking spray and heat to medium-high.
- Add garlic, onion and cilantro to the pan. Saute 2 minutes and add ground turkey/beef.
- Season with salt, garlic powder and cumin until meat is browned. Add 1/4 cup tomato sauce.
- Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise & remove all seeds. Place in baking dish.
- Spoon the meat mixture into each pepper half. Place all stuffed pepper halves into the baking dish. Pour in chicken broth to the bottom of the dish.
- Cover tight with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Top with cheese and enjoy!