Oh man do I love the holidays! Spending time with family, looking at lights and decorations, the fresh holiday smells, and especially the FOOD, are just a few of things I enjoy the most. Bariatric friendly does not mean your food has to flavorless. Think “what can I find to replace what I like” rather than “well guess I am having the same food items again”. Look into “low carb” friendly substitutes for some of your previous favorite dishes! These can definitely help with food fatigue, and provide you with recipes that you previously enjoyed that will not throw you off of your progress. I found this gem on Pinterest, because I love potatoes, https://www.lowcarbspark.com/turnip-au-gratin/#wprm-recipe-container-34787. This recipe is higher in fat than what is typically recommended, so just be mindful of your fat consumption when you do choose to make this :).
- 4 Turnips sliced, cubed, quartered (whichever you prefer)
- 1 cup 2% reduced fat shredded cheese
- 1 cup 2% mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan
- 1 cup half and half
- salt, pepper, thyme, minced garlic for taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and lightly spray your baking dish to prevent sticking.
- Slice your turnips and split them into thirds for layering. Combine all of your cheeses in a bowl.
- Layer the first group of turnips on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Sprinkle your cheese and seasonings on the first layer. Repeat process for the second and third layer.
- Pour half and half over the turnips and cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes and enjoy!